‘BREAKFAST’ itself means breaking the fast of 8-12 hours. The brain & muscles need energy to function after such a long fast. Energy can be driven from the glucose contained in foods. We also get important nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, dietary fiber and protein.
Consequences of skipping breakfast
1. People who don’t eat breakfast often consume more calories throughout the day and are more likely to be overweight. That’s because someone who skips breakfast is likely to get famished before lunchtime and snack on high-calorie foods or overeat at lunch.
2. Studies show that kids who skip breakfast are tardy and absent from school more often than children who eat breakfast on a regular basis.
3. In the morning, bodies need to refuel for the day ahead after 8-12 hours sleep. The mood and energy can drop by mid morning if even a small morning meal is not eaten.
Benefits of eating breakfast
1. Breakfast is a great way to help control body weight because it keeps them from overeating during other meals.
2. Breakfast provides children and teens with the energy they need for improved:
a. memory, concentration, and productivity
b. attention, creativity, and mood
c. behavior and school performance
3. Breakfast kick starts the body’s metabolism, the process by which the body converts the fuel in food to energy. When metabolism starts, the body starts burning calories.