Health Benefits of Amla
Amla or Gooseberry is a vibrant green colour fruit recognized by its succulent, sour and bitter taste. Studies have shown that amla or the Indian gooseberry is packed with nutrients and can actually help you live a longer healthier life.
Amla is an indispensable part of Ayurvedic and Unani medicines. Amla or Gooseberry has many nutritious benefits and has been found to be the most abundant source of Vitamin. It contains more than 80% of water besides protein, carbohydrates, fibre, minerals and vitamins Minerals and vitamins mainly include calcium, phosphorus, iron, carotene, Vitamin C and B complex. It also contains gallic acid, which is a potent polyphenol. The fruit of this plant is round shaped with vertical stripes and has a hard seed inside. It is greenish yellow in color and tastes sour. The fruit is fibrous in nature. The fruit is sometimes eaten along with salt. Amla is rich in natural vitamin C.
Let us have a look at the nutritional and health benefits of Amla.
NUTRITIONAL BENEFITS OF AMLA/GOOSEBERRY
Amla is a low calorie fruit. It provides only 60 calories for 100 grams of its intake. Amla contains mostly water which constitutes 80% of it. It is a rich source of carbohydrates and dietary fibre. It is one of the major providers of Vitamin-C and contains minerals like calcium, phosphorous and iron. Amla is also a rich source of antioxidants. Its nutritional benefits are :
- Rich source of Vitamin C.
Amla is a source of Vitamin-C. So much so, that one small amla has as much Vitamin C as 2 medium oranges. Vitamin-C in amla makes it beneficial for skin health. It helps in reviving the skin texture and makes it smooth and glamorous. Vitamin-C helps in proper digestion thereby flushes out toxins from the body. This results in reducing skin blemishes and pigmentation and provides a rejuvenating and healthy skin. Acne and pimples can be avoided by its consumption.
- It is high in Antioxidants.
Antioxidants prevent hair from premature aging and graying. Amla oil contains essential fatty acids that help in promoting hair growth. Head massage using amla oil increases blood circulation in the scalp thereby improving hair growth. It even helps in strengthening hair follicles and acts as a conditioner. Dandruff and dry itchy scalp can be avoided by applying it.
- It is rich source of fiber.
Amla is a fiber rich fruit. It helps in healthy bowel movement and makes gastrointestinal tracts clean. Its bitter and sour taste triggers various taste receptors and makes the digestive enzymes active. These juices help in proper breaking of the food and make digestion efficient. It is known to neutralize acidity in the stomach and has a cooling effect.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF AMLA/GOOSEBERRY
Amla benefits in Diabetes
Blood sugar level can be maintained by the consumption of amla. Low sugar and high fiber fruit are ideal for any diabetic patient. Antioxidants in it help in reducing glycosylated end product, serum level of creatinine and hiobarbituric acid-reactive substances levels which are oxidative. These are significantly reduced by amla consumption. Amla helps in regulating glucose in the blood and decreases albumin level in patients.
Amla improves Skin Health
Antioxidants help in restricting the free radical damage to the skin and reduce the onset of aging and wrinkles.
Amla reduces Cholesterol & protects your Heart
Amla contains potent antioxidants like Vitamin-C, amino acids and pectin. Pectin helps in decreasing serum cholesterol in the blood and reduces LDL cholesterol concentration. Amla also helps in increasing HDL cholesterol which is beneficial to the body. Triglyceride and C-reactive protein (CRP) levels are significantly reduced by its consumption. Arteries and blood vessels are also protected from fat and plaque accumulation.
Amla Protects you from Cancer
Research shows that antioxidants in amla had the potential to prevent cancer by helping the body fight the harmful effects of chemicals that are carcinogenic. It also helps to inhibit the further growth of cancer affected cells. Apart from this, Amla extract can reduce the harmful effects of radiation and chemotherapy without reducing their beneficial effects as an anti cancer treatment.
Reverses the Ageing process
The extract of amla is rich in Vitamin A. This vitamin is essential in collagen production, a compound that keeps the skin looking young and elastic. Amla when consumed on an empty stomach has properties that slow down the degradation of collagen and helps the body produce more.
Improves your sex life
In a recent study, it was found that the iron content in amla has sperm enhancing properties. Amla has also proven to increase the motility of sperm and increase sperm production in men suffering from Oligospermia (a condition where a man has a low sperm count).
Amla improves Digestion & treat Gastric problems
The fiber, polyphenol and water content of amla combined with its anti inflammatory properties make it a great antidote for an upset stomach. Having one teaspoon of amla juice on an empty stomach can take care of acidity and resolve a stomach upset.
Soothes the throat
Amla juice mixed with some ginger provides instant relief from a sore throat and cough.
Protects your liver
Studies have proved that amla has properties that protect the liver from oxidative damage caused by chemicals or alcohol. So after a long night of partying, have a piece of amla first thing in the morning, to get rid of that hangover and keep your liver safe.
Helps in Loosing Weight
All the health conscious and obese people must add this fruit in their diet. Amla juice has been found to lower the fat content in the body. It helps in increasing the metabolism of food which leads to reduction of food accumulation in the body. Fat accumulation can generate toxins in the body. These toxins slow the digestion process and hence hamper the health of a person. Amla is a rich source of Vitamin-C which can flush down these toxins. It is most effective when consumed empty stomach in the morning.
Relieves Menstrual Cramping
If you plan to take Amla specifically to get rid of menstrual cramps, you’ll need to start taking it at least a few weeks before menstruation in order for it to be in your system long enough to have an effect.
OTHER HEALTH BENEFITS
- Amla can be helpful in preventing mouth ulcers. Rinsing with amla juice can reduce the occurrence of it.
- Amla has anti-inflammatory properties. It can reduce pain and swelling and is helpful against diseases like arthritis.
- Amla is a stress reliever and can help in inducing sound sleep.
- Amla helps in improving memory and improves cognitive functions. It also aids in improving central nervous system of the body.
- Age related macular degeneration can be avoided by its consumption.
- It aids in proper functioning of liver and urinary system.
HOME REMEDIES USING AMLA
- Diabetes : Prepare a mixture by mixing equal quantities of Amla (Gooseberry), jamun(dried seeds) and bitter gourd powder. A teaspoonful of this mixture once or twice a day is effective in checking diabetes.
- Acidity: Acidity is very common problem occurring due to frequent intake of sweet, sour and spicy and oily food ,excessive coffee, tea and smoking. Acidity can occur due to psychological reasons like – anger, grief and depression as well. Simply taking one gram of Amla (Gooseberry) powder with a little sugar in milk or water twice a day helps in curing acidity.
- Eyes: Taking Amla powder with milk cures ailment powder cures ailment of the eyes like sight loss or cataract.
- Migrane: Migrane problem troubles a lot of us especially in summers. Applying paste of juice of 2 or 3 Amla or its pulp mixed with little rose water and 3 0r 4 pieces of Kesar in it for 15 minutes gives lot of relief migraine.
- Hair: a) Applying the paste of Amla powder mixed in lemon juice on the hair 10 to 15 mts. before washing them with Amla water keeps the hair strong and shining. b) Use pure coconut oil boiled with amla fruits for regular application on hair. Apply this oil at night and massage scalp. Wash it off next day morning. c) To reduce oily in the hair, mix 3 teaspoons of amla water with 3 teaspoons of lemon juice and wash the hair with it. d) Amla powder for hair-Applying the paste of Amla powder mixed in lemon juice on the hair 10 to 15 mts. before washing them with Amla water keeps the hair strong and shining.
- Dandruff Cure: Washing the hair with decoction of Amla removes dryness of the scalp, checks dandruff and stops excessive fall and the graying of hair.
- Urinary Problems: a) Taking 1 gm Amla powder, Kalajeera and 2 gm. ground mishri with cold water cures the habit of urinating in the bed at night. b) Applying paste of Amla near the navel portion helps in curing urinary problems. c) Taking crushed Amla pulp ( after straining it ) mixed with mishri cures blood in urine.
- Piles: Piles can be very painful and disturbing. Consumption of amla in different forms keeps the problem at bay. Soak 15 gms. Amla and 15 gms. of mehandi (myrtle) leaves overnight in 400 gms. Water. Strain the liquid in the morning. Drinking this water checks piles., taking fresh Amla juice with half tsp of ghee and 1 tsp. of honey and 100 gms. of milk-after lunch-cures even chronic piles problem.
- Kidney Stones: Taking Amla powder with radish helps in checking stone in bladder by breaking the stones and throwing it out with urine. The best time to have them is morning or evening.
- Boils in mouth: Doing gargles with water mixed with fresh Amla juice twice or thrice a day gives great relief and helps curing the boils. After gargles apply fresh Amla juice on the boils and let saliva ooze out.
- Jaundice: Jaundice can be life threatening if proper care is not taken. Amla helps in the following way: Soak 4 Munnakkas (big raisins) in juice of 4 fresh Amla. After one hour grind the soaked munakkas and mix it with Amlajuice. Taking this potion twice a day gives relief in jaundice.
- Constipation home remedies: With our current lifestyles where there is no fixed and proper time for having meals, constipation is very common problem. Have 1 tsp dried Amla powder with milk or water before retiring for the day. You can even take 4 tsp fresh Amla juice and 3 tsp honey mixed in a glass of water.
- Intestinal Worms: Take 30ml of fresh amla juice once in a day for 5 days regularly to kill intestinal worms.
- Cough: Prepare a paste with amla powder (dry amla pieces and make powder) and a teaspoon of honey and lick it twice daily, it is an effective home remedy for cough.
- Obesity: If a tbsp of ginger juice mixed with amla juice, is consumed every morning on empty stomach it controls obesity.
HOW TO CONSUME AMLA
- The best way to use amla is to consume its fresh juice. However, since this can be bitter and sour, most people may not be able to handle it.
- A wonderful quality of amla is that heat or drying does not reduce its nutritional properties. This is why pieces of fresh amla can be added to your cooked vegetables.
- Amla pickles and chutneys is another wonderful way to include this wonderful fruit in your regular diet. Other popular ways to consume this wonderful fruit is in the form of candies, sweets or murabba. Since these are sweet in taste, many people prefer consuming this fruit in these forms.